Friday, August 21, 2009

All-American Patty Melt

I was craving some comfort food and I was flipping thru some cookbooks and came across Rachael Rays Top 30 Comfort foods. Perfect I thought and it will be done in thirty minutes! My favorite part....I have told you before my husband is a picky eater...so I didn't tell him what I was making he assumed I was making hamburgers. When we sat down for dinner he raised his eyebrow and looked at me and said "I don't know about this?" Give me a high five! I scored!!! He loved it! Now if I can just talk him into Turkey & Wild Mushroom Meatloaf Patties I'll have another recipe to share.
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground sirloin
2 rounded Tbsp dill pickle relish
2 Tbsp steak sauce
1 Tbsp Montreal steak seasoning (McCormick)
2 tsp. sweet paprika
A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp butter, divided
1 lg. onion, thinly sliced
8 slices rye, white, or pumpernickel bread
8 deli slices Swiss Cheese
  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Mix meat and relish, steak sauce, steak seasoning, and paprika. Divide meat and form 4 large, thin patties.
  • Add oil to pan and cook burgers 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Take patties out and add another drizzle of oil and 1 Tbsp butter. When butter has melted into oil, fry onions until just tender, 5 minutes. Slide onions onto patties.
  • Return pan to the stove and add the 1 Tbsp butter and 2 slices of bread. Top each bread slice with another slice of bread and press the patty melts together. Cook 2 or 3 minutes on each side to set the sandwich and toast the bread.
  • Add remaining tablespoon butter to pan and repeat process to make 2 more sandwiches. Cut sandwiches from corner to corner.
  • Serves 4

1 comment:

  1. I've never made patty melts but my husband (and all the family on his side) are in love with them! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I am going to make patty melts for his family next time they come over :-)

    ReplyDelete