Saturday, August 15, 2009

Apricot Squares

My father loves apricots. When I came across this recipe it made me think of him so of course I baked a batch and brought him a plate full. Did I mention I am his favorite? ;)
This recipe can be easily adapted you could use any flavor of preserves. If your like me you have a few jars in the refrigerator what a great way to use them and make room for more condiments!
Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp lemon extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp grated orange peel
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Filling:
1 jar (18oz) apricot preserves
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Beat in egg and extract.
  • Combine flour, orange peel, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
  • Set aside one-third of mixture for the topping.
  • Press remaining dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
  • Combine preserves, lemon juice and peel; spread evenly over crust.
  • Crumble reserved dough over filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
  • Yields: 2 dozen

adapted from Taste of Home Bake Sale 2009 pg.8

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum, I've never come across a Taste of Home recipe I haven't loved! I love apricots too! These squares look amazing!

    ReplyDelete