Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bourbon Chicken

I know I’m a little late posting this but we had a Mardi Gras party last month and it was an absolute blast. I have been to New Orleans a few times and there is always a party to be had. I wanted to make something different other than your traditional red beans and rice and dirty rice, my favorite. I came across Woman’s World magazine while I was waiting in line at the grocery store and they had a Mardi Gras dinner menu. Perfect!!! The chicken was so tender and juicy my mouth is watering just thinking about it.



Ingredients:
1-1/4cups bourbon whisky
1 cup packed light brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup salt
1 roasting chicken, 6-7lbs
4 onions, cut into 8 wedges each
2 heads garlic, top 1/3 cut off
1 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp. dried majoram ( I used oregano)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup apple jelly

Directions:

  • In large, deep pot, combine 1 qt. water with 1 cup whisky, sugar, minced garlic and salt.  Add chicken to mixture.  Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours.

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large roasting pan, toss together onions, garlic heads,oil and 1/4 tsp. marjoram and 1/8tsp pepper. Push mixture to sides of pan.

  • Drain chicken, discarding marinade.  Pat chicken dry with paper towels.  Place in center of roasting pan so that it is surrounded by onion mixture.  Sprinkle chicken with remaining 3/4tsp majoram and 1/8tsp pepper.  Roast until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees F, about 1 hour, 40 minutes.

  • Meanwhile, in small ot over medium-high heat, bring apple jelly and remaining 1/4 cup whisky to boil.  Reduce heat to medium low; simmer until thickened and reduced to 1/3 cup, about 10 minutes.  Brush glaze over chicken during last 10 minutes of cooking time. 




Happy Mardi Gras!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mardi Gras! Your masks and beads are so fun! I bet this was a great dinner! The chicken sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love bourbon and come from bourbon country (KY) but, I've never used it with chicken. Sounds delicious! Love the Mardi Gras touch! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete